Tuesday, September 4, 2007

I Resign As Queen of The Universe

am a firm believer that everyone needs to have a sense of humor about themselves. I am the first to admit that (at times) I take life WAY too seriously, and I think that's probably true about many people. My kids need me, my mother needs me, my sister, my friends, my bills, my personal development, my housework, my personal hygiene, my cat, the kids' schoolwork, the plants...admit it, some days it gets to be overwhelming and you don't know how much more you can handle.
When we hold so tight to the reigns of our life we tend to forget there is a Universe out there trying to help us. We grasp tighter and tighter, and claim, “it's mine! it's mine!” but believe it or not, you ARE allowed to let go sometimes. You are allowed to take a break, you are allowed to make mistakes, you are allowed some downtime. For the last year I have been working at home and my son asked me the other day, “Mommy, when is your day off?” and I realized he posed a very good question. I technically don't take my day of rest. I sit at the computer every chance I get and keep plugging away as if (somehow) I will save the Universe. Well, I just found out, the Universe doesn't need saving.
Sometimes you don't see it. Sometimes you think you are just being a responsible human being and taking care of all the matters on your plate. I get that. I do it all the time, and I don't even realize I over-extend myself. Then one day I notice I am humming that song from The Fray, “I'm in over my head”...that's no accident.
Have you ever given consideration to the idea that your body is actually trying to communicate with you? Hear me out on this one because it might ring true for you. Your body quite often TELLS you what is out of balance in your life. For example, my friend had a job that was driving him crazy. After a few months he was suffering from debilitating headaches. There was no pain medication, no massage therapist, no chiropractor or doctor on the planet who could help him. He was freaking out, he thought he had some kind of mysterious tumor. He quit the job one day and miraculously, the headaches disappeared. I use this story as an example, because it is the perfectly explains how his body was communicating with him. If your body is giving you one of the following symptoms, don't just nurse it, listen to it...
Do you have:
Headaches? Maybe you are over thinking something.
Backaches? You are carrying a heavy burden on your shoulders.
Hand pain, broken arm, arthritis? Just can't “handle” anymore responsibility.
Post nasal drip, running nose? Sadness.
Food poisoning, bladder infection, stomach flu? Anger.
Sore throat, coughing? you have something to say, but can't or won't be heard.
Accidents/accident prone? You are distracted, thinking of something else or obsessing.
Yes, your body talks to you. You must consider that your body truly is a vehicle. If you don't oil the right parts, don't give it enough fuel and don't repair worn out parts...a definite symptom will arise. To complicate it even more, your body is reactionary like a very young child...so symptoms can be mysterious and misunderstood. Take some time to listen, rest and be yourself. Don't let your responsibilities as Queen or King of the Universe take over your life. Resign. Let the Universe fall into anarchy for awhile and take care of YOU.
Here's something to think about too (just to make my point even clearer):
On an airplane they tell you to pull the oxygen mask over YOUR face first before you help your child with his/her mask. It is not a selfish gesture. If you can't breathe...how will you help your child? You can carry this over and use it as a philosophy of life. Help yourself so that you may help others.

No comments: